Nintendo is a famous company that makes video games. Many people around the world know about them. People are always excited to hear about their new games or news about them.
So, Nintendo began making videos called “Nintendo Directs” to tell their fans about their upcoming games and what they can look forward to. Excited for the next Nintendo Direct?
Keep reading to find out when it’s happening, where you can watch it, and what they’ll talk about. And if you want to learn more, we’ve got some cool facts about Nintendo’s past Direct events down below.
Next Nintendo Direct: When Will It Happen?
We don’t know the specific date and time of the next Nintendo Direct yet. Normally, Nintendo Direct events happen every few months, and they usually tell us about them a few days before they happen. So, keep an eye on this article for updates.
The newest Nintendo Direct happened on August 31, 2023, at 10 AM on the East Coast and 7 AM on the West Coast. It was all about the upcoming Super Mario Bros. game, which will come out later this year.
Where to Watch Nintendo Direct?
You can see Nintendo Direct shows on the official Nintendo of America YouTube channel or a similar channel in your area. If it’s a live show, they often put it on the channel a day or two before it starts. You can find out when it will happen, how long it will be, and what they will talk about in the video’s description when it’s ready.
Different Types of Nintendo Directs
Nintendo Directs are like special videos made by Nintendo. They aren’t all the same. They come in different kinds with different lengths and reasons. Here are the different kinds they have right now.
- Nintendo Direct: This is the main type of announcement from Nintendo. It talks about general stuff like new games and game systems and lasts for 25 to 50 minutes.
- Nintendo Direct Mini: These are shorter versions of Nintendo Direct, lasting from 5 to 30 minutes. They talk about less famous games and news.
- Nintendo Direct Special: These Directs are all about one special game. The person who made the game usually talks about it. It can last from 5 to 50 minutes.
- Pokémon Direct/Pokemon Presents: These are all about Pokémon. They talk about Pokémon news for 10 to 27 minutes.
- Indie World: Sometimes, games on Nintendo aren’t made by Nintendo. This Direct is about games from smaller game makers coming to Nintendo. It lasts from 17 to 28 minutes.
- Nintendo E3 Presentations/Directs: These are the shows Nintendo does during a big event called E3. They talk about their games for 20 to 45 minutes.
You should know that Nintendo sometimes stops doing certain kinds of presentations called Nintendo Directs. They used to have ones like Nintendo Direct Micro and Wii U Direct, but they stopped doing them for different reasons. And it seems like they might stop doing the Nintendo E3 Directs too.
But when something big happens at Nintendo, like when they release a new game console, they might start doing new kinds of presentations again.
The First Nintendo Direct
The first Nintendo Direct happened on October 21, 2011. It was hosted by Reggie Fils-Aimé, who used to be the boss of Nintendo America. If you watch it now, it will make you feel nostalgic.
At that time, Nintendo’s newest handheld game system was the Nintendo 3DS, and that’s what they were talking about in the Direct. They were showing off 3DS games, apps for streaming videos, and apps for recording and making animations.
Since then, Nintendo has done many more Directs. There have been 188 of them, including the most recent one called the Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct.
The Most Popular Nintendo Direct of All Time
It’s tough to say which Nintendo Direct is the best because it depends on who you ask, and everyone has their own opinion. But if we look at the numbers, the most popular one is the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct from September 3, 2020. Mario is Nintendo’s biggest character, and this Direct got a huge 11 million views.
You can find a guide about the addition of classic SEGA Genesis titles to Nintendo Switch Online here.