PlayStation has been continuously improving the PlayStation 5 system software with each release, introducing new features to enrich your gaming experience, simplify navigation, and enjoy your favourite content in various ways with friends.
Today, we are thrilled to unveil the latest PS5 system software beta, which brings exciting new accessibility features and audio options. Notably, the update enables 3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech to be experienced on compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices like sound bars, TVs, and home theatre systems.
The beta offers improved game discovery options, console tips, enhanced multiplayer customization, and support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs of up to 8TB. While the beta access is limited to invited participants in select countries, we intend to release the update globally later this year.
If you are selected to participate in the beta, you will receive an email invitation when it becomes available for download. Please note that some features available during the beta phase may undergo changes or not make it to the final version.
Now, let’s explore some of the exciting highlights from the beta release:
New PS5 system software beta features revealed:
🎮 Added accessibility features
🔈 Support for compatible @Dolby Atmos-enabled audio devices
🖥️ Social feature enhancements
💾 Larger-capacity M.2 SSD support
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) July 31, 2023
PlayStation Added Accessibility Features
Second Controller for Assistance. The latest update allows you to connect a second controller to your PS5 console and designate it as an assist controller. By doing so, you can now effectively use two controllers together as if they were one, providing a new and collaborative way to enjoy games with friends or aid others in navigating challenging game sections.
- To activate the assist controller feature, navigate to [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers] > [Use Second Controller for Assistance], and then toggle on [Use Assist Controller].
- This functionality is compatible with DualSense, DualSense Edge wireless controllers, and PS5-supported third-party controllers.
System UI Haptic Feedback. You can now activate haptic feedback effects while navigating your PS5 using your DualSense controller, DualSense Edge controller, or PS VR2 Sense controller.
- When this feature is enabled, specific system sound effects will be physically conveyed through haptics during various events, such as moving focus, reaching the end limit of a scrollable section, checking a box, receiving a notification or booting up a game. This optional functionality enhances immersion and proves particularly beneficial for players with sight or hearing disabilities, providing additional feedback on their inputs.
- To enable this feature, simply access [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Controllers], and switch on [Haptic Feedback During Console Navigation].
Compatibility With Dolby Atmos-Enabled Audio Devices
Owners of compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices, such as soundbars, TVs, or home theatre systems, can now enjoy the immersive 3D Audio experience powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech. This technology seamlessly renders audio to Dolby Atmos-supported devices, including overhead channels, enhancing the auditory experience of PS5 games to new levels of immersion.
- To activate Dolby Atmos, navigate to [Settings] > [Sound] > [Audio Output] > [Audio Format (Priority)] and choose [Dolby Atmos].
Here you can check some latest news and updates about PlayStation:
- Playstation Plus Games for August 2023: Immerse Yourself in Golf, Dreams, and Adventure!
- Hurry Up and Claim: Final Opportunity for PlayStation Plus Members to Get May’s Games
PlayStation Social Feature Enhancements
Party UI enhancements: You now have the flexibility to invite players to a closed party without automatically adding them to the group or forming a new group. Moreover, you can extend open or closed-party invitations to entire groups, not just individual players.
Share Screen Preview: Whenever someone at a party shares their screen, you’ll get a preview image of their Share Screen even before joining the party.
Seamless Joining of Game Sessions: Under the [Friends] tab, it’s now effortless to identify which friends are participating in activities you can join.”
- The Joinable icon will appear beside friends playing a game you can participate in.
- You can join a friend’s game by pressing the options button and choosing [Join Game] or the “Join” button on their profile card.
Game Hub tournaments tile. In the game hub, you can see how many tournaments you’ve entered, the highest place you’ve achieved, and the start time for the next match. You can select the tile to see the complete tournament list.
React to messages with emojis. Now, you can add emojis as reactions to messages, making communication with friends faster and more convenient.
Support for Larger-Capacity M.2 SSDs
Expand the storage space on your PS5 console with the newly available M.2 SSD, now supporting a maximum capacity of 8TB, an upgrade from the previous 4TB limit.
How to Sign Up for the PS5 Beta Program?
Even if the opportunity to test the latest beta version of the system software has passed, you can still become a beta tester for potential future releases.
Visit the registration page at www.playstation.com and log in to your PlayStation account to express your interest.